Saturday, February 9, 2013

Tales from the Gym - Silence is Golden

Today's episode found me at my gym, stretching.  I did a bridge type thing to stretch my low back.  Hands in reverse, I hoisted my body on to my head and just held the stretch in my back.  Upon standing, a gentleman began waving at me frantically and whispering something about pushing to lift my head off the mat.  After a few seconds, he finally signed the phrase, "I'm deaf."  To his surprise and relief, I responded with, "Oh!  OK!" and we began an awesome Zen moment of conversation (Note to self: Brush up on ASL).

I did my squat set (190#) and then went to do a new exercise: The Push Press.  I'd been struggling for weeks at 60# Overhead Presses (OHPs), and one of my fellow Lady Lifters suggested the push press to help work the muscles for regular OHPs.  I was very glad she did because I felt like a powerful princess!

...then I pinched my pinky finger whilst putting a 45# plate on my deadlift bar.  Needless to say, my deadlifts were not happening after that.  Nice purple coloring with a bit of blue and the dark red in the center... verreh lovely, indeed.

I'd eaten before I went to the gym and I really think it made a difference.  I wasn't focused on the fact my stomach hurt because it was hungry or that my muscles felt weaker because they didn't have fuel.  Instead, I was a powerful woman--a WONDER WOMAN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment