Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tales from the Gym - Personal Training

I have a goal.  My goal is to be spandex-ready and worthy by Memorial Day weekend.  Specifically, May 24.  To that end, I talked to one of the trainers at my gym yesterday about personal training.

I was set up for my free consultation for this morning.  I am fairly certain the guy was trying to kill me.  I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 since November and only recently hit plateaus in everything.  I did a 20% deload and am going to work back up from there.  

The guy who was doing my consult today, thinks I should stop SL because it's "advanced" and I need to work the smaller muscles to build them up to push through stalls, etc.  Resistance training.

But.  I like SL.  

I also like the torture he put me through today.  I, personally, think both would work nicely together to get the results I want.

We'll see if the trainer agrees.  Her name is Nike and she told me she wanted to train me.  She knows what I lift; she knows my goals.  We chat because she's awesome.  As much as I like the super-cute trainer, Daniel, I think he'd be a little distracting--though, he's pretty awesome as a bench press spotter.  Very encouraging.

Anyway.  Chris, the training director, really put me through some hardcore stuff and I discovered I have a phobia of balls.  He had me doing squats with a yoga ball and I was afraid I'd pop it (hey, I've been told I was *fat* all my life...).  Then, he wanted me to do burpees with an 8lb weighted ball.  I knew the instant I put it down, my arms would slip and I'd break something...and I just sorta stood there, staring, trying to psych myself into it.  I finally turned to him and said, "Can I not do that with this?"  He was confused and started talking about strong cores, etc.  I said, "Yeah...see...it's not my core I'm worried about...it's the fact my hands will slip off the ball and I will collapse onto it, crushing my sternum."  He laughed and handed me a set of 12lbs dumbbells...that were circular on the ends.  I put them down on the mat and stared a minute...then stood up and said, "Can I just do regular burpees?  I'd rather not roll around and really hurt myself."  Apparently, though, this fear of mine is because I don't have a strong core.  Couldn't possibly be because I have no depth perception and very little coordination...coupled with a severe lack of confidence in doing anything involving something that requires depth perception and coordination.  I digress.

There were a few exercises I just couldn't do.  Planking and lifting a 12lb dumbbell was the first...followed by the stupid weighted burpees...and ending with a step thing where you step up onto a raised platform, balance and lift the 12lbs dumbbells over your head, then step off the other side.  Remember a lack of depth perception and such?  I also have a lack of balance...and a bad knee....which gave out on the step down.

TIME TO WORK THAT KNEE!  Dear lord, I thought I was going to die...and I'm a pretty strong girl... But, then again, my left knee *is* pretty jacked up.  As is my left shoulder.  I'd really like to do things like what I did today as a supplement to my strong lifts.  Hopefully, they'll agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment