Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tales from the Gym - The Realizations...

My day started as it should--I woke up, kinda, rolled out of bed into my workout gear, rooted around for a pair (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) of socks, and the flattest sneakers I own.  Grabbed my phone and my tablet, my towel, water bottle... I was ready to crush my workout today.

Set it all up in my tablet app (LiftBook, for those interested): StrongLifts 5x5, Workout B, 180# squats, 60# OHPs, and 180# Deadlifts.  I was feeling powerful (except for those OHPs...they are my nemesis).  My squats sets went well.  I was feeling confident and on top of the world.  My OHPs were surprisingly good today...until the 4th set.  That's when I realized there were a lot of guys staring at me...and they weren't staring at my weight.  I looked down and thought, "Oh, geeze...if there is ever an exercise to make feel even *more* chesty... it's this one.  DOUBLE Ds COMIN' AT YA..."  Threw me off, because now I was focused on the fact I have boobs and my workouts are just making them bigger and everyone in the gym is noticing.  Set 4 gave me 3 reps, set 5 gave me 4.

I happily moved to my Deadlifts.  My warm up sets were great, but I only did 2 at 160# instead of my normal 3.  I think I should have done 3 because I only managed to get 3 reps at 180#. This made me very sad.  I like PRs every time I lift.  It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.  I don't know how to handle it when I don't hit those PRs.  Then it makes me worry that I'm losing strength while doing the Whole30 program and I start to freak out.

Of course, apparently, I base my sense of self/self-worth on my lifts.  Oh, THAT is a bad idea (Yes, I know this already)!  When I couldn't do my 5 reps at 180# on the deads, my tapes started blaring in my head.  I tried to drown them out by saying, "Oh, yeah?  I got 3 reps at 180#...and competitive dead lifters only do ONE rep at their weights! So...shut up!"  But, it just got louder.  Apparently, it is better at intimidation than I am.  :(

"So?  You have to get to those weights, first!  You can't even get to 200lbs, let alone 315lbs!  Everything everyone has ever said about you, ever, is true--you worthless excuse for a waste of air!"

Thanks, brain.  So, I went home and consoled myself with an epic Paleo breakfast (which you'll get to read about tonight).  All I can say is, I'm glad I'm not cooking tonight.  I'd burn the kitchen down in all likelihood.

No comments:

Post a Comment