Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tales from the Gym - I Am Fe-Male

Today was a big day for me.  It was the day I got to attempt my squat goal: 200lbs.  I said "When I am able to squat 200#, then I will get myself a 'Miss Fit' tank top."

...and so I am designing my tank top.

Whilst I was setting up for my last set, a gentleman came over to me and stared with great intensity into my eyes.  Quietly, he said, "You are a very strong woman..." And I just smiled and said, "Aww, anyone could lift this--it's only 200#!" (trying to be jocular).  He continued his serious gaze and said, "I could never lift that...my back wouldn't handle it!"

I didn't have the heart to tell him he couldn't do it because he didn't believe he could.  I did, however, say, "I'm sure you could with a little effort and training."

Because, seriously, if I can do it, anyone can do it.  I have back problems, knee problems, ankle problems...heck, my hips aren't even level let alone straight.  I probably shouldn't be able to squat 200lbs, but, like the bumble bee, I don't know that I can't.

So I did.

Someone asked once why I'd want to lift so much weight.  Presumably, the person thought I was doing it for attention (because, really, how many women do you see benching 115#, squatting 200#, and deadlifting 185#).  But, honestly, I enjoy it.  There's just something about the feeling of pushing yourself just that much harder to become harder, better, faster, stronger. 

I'm not trying to "beat the boys."  I'm trying to beat Me.  I'm trying to beat that little voice in my head that says, "You can't..."  Because you know what?  I'm a female.  And that means I CAN....because... y'know, I'm Iron Man*.




*That's Fe-Male.  Get it?  Fe = Iron?  Iron Man...?  IT'S SCIENCE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment