Monday, March 4, 2013

Weekend Cooking - Fritatta Recipe

Since my discovery that I can have pineapple, I'm making sure to keep up with my Paleo lifestyle.  Pineapple is delicious and I will have it as much as I can.  I need to make up for 35 years of not being able to!

March 3 was also my spiritual birthday!  Just like my tattoo says, March 3, 1982.  I was 4.  Best decision, EVER!
(this is freshly done)
Sunday had an epic meal plan for dinner: Bacon-crusted meatloafcreamy, spicy collards; and pineapple upside down cake.  My husband was impressed with my pineapple upside down cake, even though I used the wrong pan.  It was an awesome first attempt.

Now!  Breakfast Saturday was fun.  I wanted to make something tasty that would be filling and feed all three of us...so, I made a fritatta.  Usually, I follow strict recipes on making fritattas, but no one seems to ever want to use tomatillos in anything other than puree sauces with avocado (which sounds amazing, don't get me wrong).  Here's what I did.

Ingredients
4 tomatillos (sm/med), large dice
3 strips of thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, diced
1/2 onion
2T minced garlic
1/4c coconut milk
6 eggs
bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/4c feta cheese (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400* and make sure you use an oven-safe skillet.

Start by dicing your onion and sauteing it in the oil of your choice (olive or coconut...I used olive oil).  This will take approximately 7 minutes; during this time, dice your tomatillos. Once the onions are mostly translucent, toss in your garlic and saute until aromatic (so, about 30 seconds).  Add the tomatillos and saute for a few minutes.

In a mixing bowl, combine the diced bacon, coconut milk, and eggs.  Whisk to a smooth, satiny texture, then poor the mixture over your veggies.  Let the mixture cook on the stove top for about 5 minutes, or until eggs set up.  Sprinkle the feta (if using) on top and stick in the oven.  After 20 minutes, take the mix out and sprinkle with cilantro.  Put it back in for another 5 minutes.  Remove from oven, crank to broil, and stick it under the broiler for about 1 minute.  Cut into your preferred serving size and enjoy!  Use some salsa for a little bit of an added kick.

Please note: cooking times vary and a lot of this is approximation.  When I create recipes, I don't tend to measure...just eyeball it.  I'm terrible, I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment