Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Paddy's Day Dinner

I love traditional foods.  Let me rephrase: I love ethnic and ethnically traditional foods.  I do understand that corned beef is not traditionally Irish (they usually eat pork), but I also know that the Irish don't wear green on St. Patrick's Day, either, so I don't care.

Since I've switched my diet to a Paleo/Primal lifestyle, I have found cooking to be so much more enjoyable.  I enjoy the scents, the flavors, the experimentation...  It's all fun for me.

Last weekend at our local farmers' market, the husbeast and I scored a grass-fed, 1.24lb buffalo brisket for about $20.  We decided to use this meat for our corned beef and cabbage dish for St. Patrick's Day.  

It was an amazing choice.  Using the recipe at Paleo Effect, this brisket was, hands down, amazaballs good.  The veggies weren't bad either, but the meat was amazing.  I may try to find a venison brisket next year.


 Browning the brisket....

 Cover with beef broth & water--at least 2" over the meat to make sure it doesn't dry out.  Add in the spices....
 Bring to a boil!
 Add the veggies!!!!  (Not pictured, the mutant parsnips)
 Beginnings of  paleo Irish Soda Bread....
 The buffalo brisket....aka, CORNED BUFF'LO!

 The lovely, lovely veggies....parsnips, carrots, onions, and cabbage....
 This is an Irish Car Bomb.  Sorta.  It's actually nothing like a car bomb, and everything you should see if you consider using chilled, 2-year-old Bailey's....  It's definitely a bomb, though...
 The final spread.... clockwise:

Paleo Irish Soda Bread
Cabbage, parsnips, carrots, & onions
Corned buff'lo brisket.













I think tonight's dinner was hugely successful.  I have a dessert I want to make, but...not tonight.  The Jameson's will have to wait to be mixed into icing....for Black Velvet cup cakes....

No comments:

Post a Comment