Saturday, March 23, 2013

Tales from the Gym--Welcome to the 21st Century

I can't believe I hadn't blogged this already.

So.  I went to the gym two weeks ago and threw my back out.  I do remember blogging that.  What I didn't blog was my conversation a week later.

I saw Nike (my fav female personal trainer) talking with Dan (my fav male personal trainer) and one other guy (turns out it was Chris, the PT Director).  I wanted to let her know that my back was healing, but my new chiro had put me off heavy squats and, presumably, dead lifts for now.

Dan frowned at the news.  Nike was surprised, but understood....and Chris?  Chris said, "That's good.  You're a girl and shouldn't be lifting like that, anyway."

Dan and Nike split.  Had I not been standing in LA Fitness, I would have verbal assaulted him and, likely, kicked him quite hard.  There are no words for his chauvinistic attitude, nor is there any excuse.

I've since taken up dumbbell training which is going very well.  I've had more DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) with dumbbell training than I ever had with barbell.  Dumbbells are also humbling.  I never knew that 10lbs could be so heavy when doing curls.  I'm hoping to, someday, be doing curls with 25lbs.  Maybe higher.  We'll see.

In the meantime, I leave you with this awesome inspiration: 

No comments:

Post a Comment