Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tales from the Gym - Ouch

Yesterday was the first time I'd worked out since Friday last week.  Why?  Because my insomnia has hit (more like slammed) me head on.  But, I have goals and such and I want to make them, so I dragged my butt to the gym.  I always feel better, right?

Yeah, no.

I was in the bottom of my first 175# squat of the day when I felt my back slip and a sharp pain hit.  Thinking I'd done something wrong with my form, I went to the top, reset my position and went back down.  At the bottom of this squat, I felt and heard a POP! Not a snap, not a crack, a POP.  It was at this moment that I realized my back had tried to politely tell me it was bored and hadn't gone out for a while; the POP was the door slamming as my back went out without me.  I'm sure there's a BRB sign somewhere....

I finished the workout, anyway.

My back hurt so much I was nearly in tears.  I decided to try a new chiropractor since the current one isn't working for me (in a very literal sense).  I got the oddest look from the nurse practitioner when I said I was at the bottom of a 175# squat.  Almost as if she were saying, "Girls shouldn't be lifting that kind of weight."  I almost dared her to tell me that....  I was ready.  But, she didn't.

So, needless to say, I shan't be doing deadlifts tomorrow...or barbell squats.  I think I will likely be switching to dumbbells and doing a full body routine...we'll see if sit ups are possible.  Hope so...need to do 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment