Saturday, March 16, 2013

New Beginnings...Now with Mutations!

I went in for my report of findings today from my chiropractor.

I discovered that the previous six years of chiropractic have made a significant difference.  But, I also learned something new about my body.

I.  Am a Mutant.

That part's actually pretty obvious given I'm a red head (genetic mutation).  What isn't obvious is the fact that I have a prehensile, internally vestigial, L6 vertebra.  

For those of you who don't know anatomy and physiology, the average human has 5 lumbar vertebrae.  

I have 6.  Six.  Plus, I have a twisted pelvis and slight scoliosis.  If my spine were completely straight, I'd probably be 5'6" or 5'7"...seriously.

So, because I have the beginnings of arthritis in my spine, slight scoliosis, and the L6...I'm not allowed to do heavy squats.  I didn't happen to mention my deadlifts, so I'm assuming I'm probably not supposed to do those, either.  At least for now.

So...dumbbells it is!  ...and a note to the Personal Training Director that when someone says, "This is hurting me," to stop and ask questions rather than say, "You just need a stronger core."

I need one less vertebra, dumb ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment