Saturday, May 19, 2012

How I Got Here

In this day and age, everyone's looking to lose weight because society has ingrained in our brains that "thin = beautiful."  As a woman, it's unreal to see the constant inundations of "true beauty" on TV, in magazines, online, etc.  It's always some movie star who looks like a lollipop or an airbrushed supermodel.

Still, weight is a contributing factor to health--which is more beautiful, in my opinion, than rail thin.  And, for me, at least, health is a contributing factor to happiness.  If I feel unhealthy, I feel ugly.  And considering how many times I've felt that way about myself, I figured it was time to do something about it.

I moved to CA 9 years ago.  My goal was like all other pretty girls--to be in movies.  Harsh reality: I'm not now, nor was I then, nor will I ever be the "Hollywood ideal" when it comes to dress size.  I was a size 8 when I moved out here--and that was too fat for film.  What's worse is I didn't know then that I had a gluten allergy--so, the pounds packed on as I lived off of ramen, pasta, and sandwiches.  Thirty pounds, to be exact.  If I wasn't the ideal at size 8, I certainly wasn't the ideal at a very tight size 14!

I did the Master Cleanse and lost about 20lbs (naturally, you're just drinking lemonade for 10 days).  I felt great, I looked pretty good, and then I got back into solid foods....and BAM! The weight came back with a vengeance.  I have tried the South Beach Diet numerous occasions--I'd lose 15-20lbs during Phase I's two week period, then gain it all back within the first week of Phase II as I added back in breads and pastas.

I was going to the gym 5 days a week and pushing my body.  The scales wouldn't move.  Disheartened, I gave up.  I was sure I was doomed to be tipping the scales at 180lbs (by this point) and would forever be unhealthily overweight.

Then I found the book "Eating Right 4 Your Type."  I read the introduction about how this diet wasn't really a diet--it was a lifestyle change.  Instead of eating foods that would harm you, eat foods that would help you--based on your BLOOD TYPE.  I was intrigued and read further.  The book suggested that people with Type O blood have a tendency to be GLUTEN INTOLERANT or CELIACS.  So, I experimented.  I went gluten free for a month.  I lost 15lbs in two weeks, felt better, saw my skin clear up and a host of other things.  A year and a half later, I'm still doing wonderfully well without gluten.

So, I decided to give the rest of the diet a try.  I'm going to do my best to update this blog each week and give you progress updates.  Don't worry, the posts won't be this long.  This is the introduction to how I got to where I am right now.  Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment